This fort was built in 1755 by order of the British government and was named after the Duke of Cumberland, who was Captain General of the British Army. It was the base of operations for General Edward Braddock and Colonel George Washington during the French and Indian War.
The only building to remain from the fort is the small cabin that was used by George Washington as his headquarters when he was in the Cumberland area with his Virginia troops. It has been moved to nearby Riverside Park. The one-room cabin is not open to the public, but it does have a viewing window and an audio description.
Emmanuel Episcopal Church is currently located on the site of Fort Cumberland. The church was built over a series of trenches. Visitors to the church can walk through the remaining tunnels and view a large scale model of the fort on its premise.
Historic Marker for Fort:
- Marker Organization: The Cresap Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
- Marker Date: 1920
- Marker Text: THIS TABLET MARKS THE SITE OF OLD FORT CUMBERLAND WHICH WAS BUILT IN 1755 BY ORDER OF THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT AND NAMED IN HONOR OF THE DUKE OF CUMBERLAND CAPTAIN GENERAL OF THE BRITISH ARMY. IT WAS THE BASE OF MILITARY OPERATIONS OF GENERAL EDWARD BRADDOCK AND COLONEL GEORGE WASHINGTON IN THE FRENCH AND INDIAN WARS. ERECTED BY CRESAP CHAPTER DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION IN 1920
Historic Marker for Headquarters:
- Marker Date: 04/21/1921
- Marker Text: Headquarters of George Washington as Colonel under General Braddock at Fort Cumberland during the French and Indian War 1755-1758 and as Commander-in-Chief of the American Army in 1794. Presented to the City of Cumberland by James Walter Thomas, LLD., Litt.D Dedicated April 21, 1921 in the presence of General John Pershing Commander of American Armies, Major, C.E. D. Bridges, Military Attache of British Embassies, Honorable Albert C. Ritchie, Governor of Maryland, Dr. Thomas W. Koon, Mayor of Cumberland, Judge Ferdinand Williams, Presiding Officer. These Headquarters built by General Braddock's men for George Washington, antedate all similar Headquarters in the United States. Here Washington acquired the military training which distinguished him as the preeminently great American Soldier.
Acknowledgements: The Cresap Chapter, NSDAR marked the site of Old Fort Cumberland in 1920. The Cresap Chapter helps to operate and maintain the headquarters there and Chapter members serve as docents.
Form Submitted By: Maryland State Society DAR Historic Preservation Committee 12/18/2015