Shopping Cart

Your shopping cart is empty.
DC/Prince George's County, MD 
Blue Plains Impoundment Lot: Southeast Corner of the lot on the Maryland side of the fence. Stone is below ground now and not visible. 
Washington, DC

Historical Significance:

"The boundary stones are the oldest federal monuments. The Residence Act of July 16, 1790, as amended March 3, 1791, authorized President George Washington to select a 100-square-mile site for the national capital on the Potomac River between Alexandria, Virginia, and Williamsport, Maryland. President Washington selected the southernmost location within these limits, so that the capital would include all of present-day Old Town Alexandria, then one of the four busiest ports in the country. Acting on instructions from Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson, Major Andrew Ellicott began surveying the ten-mile square on February 12, 1791. In 1915 the District of Columbia Chapters adopted the Boundary Stones, acquired deeds from the property owners to install a footing for the iron protective fences." They had identical fences designed and installed and finally in 1916/1917 dedication ceremonies took place to mark each stone with a plaque with the name of the Chapter who agreed to be its steward. (Wording from www.boundarystones.org)

Acknowledgements: This stone, a replacement, is located nearly eight feet below ground level at the bottom of a narrow concrete pipe and surrounded by dirt and forest debris, such that only the top is visible. The pipe is embedded in a mound of gravel a short distance from the light posts at the rear of the parking lot. In mid-2006, the pipe was helpfully spray painted with "Mon 8" and marked with two small wooden stakes that read, "MD/DC Boundary Mon #8." Since October 1916 the Monticello Chapter has been the steward of this stone.
Form Submitted By: District of Columbia Daughters of the American Revolution 11/30/2012