Many acres of Penny Pines were dedicated as a DAR Forest in 1940.
Members in this state dedicated 25 acres and a bronze marker in the White Rock Ranger District of the Ozark National Forest during the term of State Regent Mrs. Charles H. Miller as part of the Arkansas DAR Golden Jubilee Project. On March 22, 1939, the Centennial Chapter of Little Rock planted 5,000 trees in a 20-acre plot located six miles east of Mount Ida. The marker is located north of Crawford County Road 38, sadly the brass plaque is missing. The trees that appear in the historical photographs in front and on the east side of the marker are still standing. The Pine Bluff Chapter planted 4,000 trees in the Arkansas National Forest.
The members dedicated a DAR marker and 50 acres of trees at Charlton Flats on June 18, 1940. Forty-six additional acres were planted in Mendocino National Forest and 1,200 trees were planted in Mt. Ashland watershed and dedicated as a DAR Forest on June 14, 1940.
Sixty acres of Engleman spruce trees were planted in Arapahoe National Forest and dedicated as a DAR Forest on August 27, 1940, in the memory of Mrs. Clarence H. Adams. Additionally, another acre was planted and a DAR Marker placed on a burned area on the mountain side of Berthoud Pass in close proximity to Denver.
Thirty-seven large trees and thousands of seedlings, scrubs, and bulbs were planted in a 50-acre area in Latimer Grove in 1940. The Latimer Family owned property in Salem, CT. The property was sold in the 1960's, and became a Boy Scout Camp. Later in the 1980's, the property was broken off and sold again - both residentially and commercially. According to old land records and deeds, it is believed that Latimer's Grove existed in an area now called Gardener's Lake.
Members of this state dedicated the planting of a DAR Forest of 10,800 Penny Pines on June 3, 1939, in Delaware State Reservation, Sussex County.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
As a part of the NSDAR “Golden Jubilee” project, asked each state to plant a minimum of twenty-five acres of “penny pines”. Since the District of Columbia did not contain such acreage, the Daughters looked in Maryland and Virginia for adequate land. A location was eventually decided on in Virginia. The land is a part of the larger Conway-Robinson Memorial State Forest, located south of the Manassas Battleground. This portion of the Forest has been designated as a long-term growth pine forest for educating college level forestry students. A bronze marker with a slate path and patio surrounding the marker was cleared by the State Regent, Shari Thorne-Sulima, State Conservation Chairman and several other volunteers on October 23, 2010. A re-dedication ceremony is scheduled for the fall of 2011. The GPS coordinates are N 30 deg 49’ 14.6” by W 77 deg 34’ 42.4”.
The Civil Conservation Corps planted twenty thousand pines in 1939, in the beautiful 25-acre Memorial Forest in Hillsborough River State Park, near Thonotosassa, Florida. A DAR Marker was placed on January 15, 1940, under the direction of State Regent Mrs. T. C. Maguire (Echebucsassa Chapter), and is located in the first Administration Loop, near the Ranger Station. From 1940 to 2002 the forest was left to grow. The trees lived their life expectancy and eventually the area became overgrown with hard wood. A partnership with the State Park staff and the FSSDAR was formed to accomplish the return to a natural habitat. On 22 February 2003 FSSDAR dedicated its Millennium Forest, THE SILENT SENTINELS, the project of FSSDAR State Regent Mary Lou James. Florida Daughters submitted the names of Patriot ancestors to be memorialized in the replanting of the original forest. A book listing all of the patriots and contributors was published. Native trees and shrubs typical of a long leaf pine habitat that would replicate a Florida forest that existed centuries ago were used.
In 1940, in a 100-acre area known as the Richmond Walton McCurry Memorial Forest on the Chattooga River Ranger District, Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest; 231,650 Penny Pines were planted. The pines actually planted where shortleaf pines of which some still stand today.
The Jubilee Project for Illinois was the reforestation of one thousand acres of public land, called 'Illinois Daughters of the American Revolution Golden Jubilee Forest.' The United States Forest Service planted 1,000 trees per acre, at $4 per acre. The trees planted were Short leaf pine, pitch pine, gray ash, black walnut and black locust. In 1939, the acreage was a barren waste land. The forest had been stripped mostly by slash and burn farming methods used by early settlers. The specific DAR 1,000 acres was located at Pounds Hollow in the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois and dedicated on October 5, 1940 under State Regent Helen McMackin. During the years 1955-1959 State Regents Mrs. Henry C. Warner and Mrs. Len Young Smith a double wooden sign was hung. For the silver anniversary of the forest, in 1965, State Regent, Mrs. Ralph A. Killey replaced the wooden signs with new ones. A rededication by State Regent Mrs. Albert Trieble, Jr on October 24, 1981 saw the replacement of the missing bronze plaque. The forest was again rededicated on October 20, 1996 by State Regent Rose Mary Orr where a dedicatory wreath was placed at the bronze marker. Today the forest serves many recreational needs; fishing, hiking, picnicking, and camping.
[ Previous Next ]