Shopping Cart

Your shopping cart is empty.


Q: What is the DAR Americana Collection?

The Americana Collection is a collection of more than 4,000 early American manuscripts and rare imprint materials (such as books, almanacs, broadsides, newspapers, paper currency). The DAR Americana Collection is housed in the DAR National Headquarters and is open to the public, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm. Potential donations of historical documents must be pre-approved by the Office of the Historian General. Please do not submit materials for the collection without first speaking to a NSDAR archivist. If you wish to conduct research in the collection, please contact a NSDAR archivist by email ( and be as specific as possible about both the nature of your research and the materials you wish to access. For more information click here.

Q: My family has some old DAR-related records that were in the possession of one of my relatives, now deceased. What should I do with these records?

Please contact the NSDAR archival staff by email (, by phone (202-879-3256), or by regular mail (Office of the Historian General, NSDAR, 1776 D Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006), providing a detailed description of the DAR-related materials in your possession. Once apprised of the nature of this material, the archival staff will determine whether you should talk to a DAR chapter regent, a state DAR organization official, or the NSDAR archival staff member, concerning the transfer of these DAR records back into DAR custody. Appropriate contact information will then be provided. For more information click here.

Q: What is the DAR History Award Medal?

Any individual or group whose study and/or promotion of some aspect of American history-on the regional or national level-has significantly advanced the understanding of America's past is eligible for this award. These contributions to the study of American history may have been associated with (but are not limited to) archives, manuscript collections, historical societies, libraries, museums or other organizations. Writers and/or editors of significant historical publications, historical researchers and persons involved with preservation efforts of historical buildings, artifacts or records are eligible for this award. Work performed in history-related disciplines such as genealogy, museum studies, anthropology, archaeology, political science, etc. may be eligible; however, the primary goal and the final result of the project must have been the study and/or promotion of some aspect of American history. DAR members are eligible for this award; however, they must meet the same requirements as non-DAR candidates. Each nomination is judged only on the accomplishments of the nominee in relation to the submission requirements. Nominations are not compared with other nominations.

Q: How can I find out if my Revolutionary War era ancestor's grave has had a DAR marker placed at his/her gravesite?

The Office of the Historian General maintains a catalog of the graves of Revolutionary War soldiers and patriots that have been marked by the DAR. To request information on the marking of an ancestor's grave please call (202-879-3256) or email ( the staff of the Historian General's office. For more information click here.

Q: My deceased relative was a member of the DAR, and she wished to have a DAR Insignia marker placed at her gravesite. How do I go about obtaining a DAR Insignia marker for my relative?

Please contact the Office of the Historian General by telephone (202-879-3256) or by e-mail ( and let us know of your situation. We will send you the necessary forms. We will also put you in contact with the regent of your deceased relative's DAR chapter, who will need to sign the permission form. Once you have a signed permission form in hand, that form can be sent to one of the firms authorized to reproduce the DAR Insignia, from which you will then be allowed to purchase the marker. For more information click here.

Q: How can I find out how to properly care for our DAR chapter or state society records?

The Chapter or State Regent is responsible for the disposition of chapter or state records including records obtained as a result of two or more chapters merging into one chapter. All decisions regarding retention, storage and use of records are the responsibility of the Regent. Records from disbanded chapters should be deposited with the state society. If you have questions regarding which records should be retained, or how to properly store or preserve them, please contact a NSDAR archivist by email (, by phone (202-879-3256), or by regular mail (Office of the Historian General, NSDAR, 1776 D Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006). For more information click here.

Q: How can I find out about conducting research in the NSDAR Archives?

The purpose of the NSDAR Archives is to serve as the repository for NSDAR records which are no longer administratively useful but which have sufficient historical or other value to warrant their continued preservation. The NSDAR Archives houses the non-current permanent records created in the course of business by the National Society--items such as correspondence, meeting minutes, project files, photographs and the like. Although some items are available for research use without permission, access to much of the collection requires the permission of the President General. For more information click here.