Eligibility: Undergraduate or Graduate Student
Category: Library, Historical Studies, Genealogy
The DAR’s Genealogical Research System, (GRS), provides access to millions of records of interest to genealogists and historians alike. As part of our efforts to enhance this free database, the DAR Genealogy staff regularly review data on existing records to ensure that place names are listed as they were known at the time of the event. This is important to historical researchers as it may inform one’s research strategies on any given person or subject.
The intern candidate will provide research assistance to aid the Genealogy staff in this endeavor by researching place names. The intern will work with staff genealogists and librarians to identify available reference sources and to reconcile information between sources that may be in conflict. The intern candidate will also work with our Information Systems Department and Library Director to add source citations and historical data such as founding dates and or naming of a specific area to the GRS. The scope of this project will span from the early colonial period to the mid-19th century.
- Enrolled undergraduate or graduate student in a library science, archival studies, public history, or American Studies program or related field of study.
- Knowledge of early American history as well as some European history from the late 17th century through the mid 18th century.
- Knowledge and proficiency in databases and MS Office applications.
- Strong attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- nterest in historical research, primary source research or genealogy.
- Ability to work independently or in a group setting.
Internship Opportunities: Looking for 1 to 2 interns.
Time Commitment: Up to 16 hours maximum per week.
Compensation: This internship is unpaid. Preference will be given to those seeking academic credit.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to the resumes inbox at email@example.com. Please identify in your subject line that you are applying for the Library internship.