The National Society has a full-time genealogist position available in the Registrar’s Office. Primary responsibilities include the careful examination and evaluation of evidence submitted in support of applications for membership in the DAR. As such, it provides a unique opportunity to work with and analyze primary and secondary documents including vital, census, church, military, estate and land records with a focus on Revolutionary War patriots.
- Demonstrates a genuine passion and interest in, and knowledge of, genealogy work.
- Demonstrates previous experience conducting genealogical research, particularly in 18th & 19th century original records.
- Demonstrates ability to analyze and evaluate lineage information, is detail oriented and shows ability to resolve issues from conflicting data.
- Demonstrates ability to write clear and concise letters, including ability to explain difficult research problems and provide suggestions or recommendations to the applicant for further research.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Word, including the ability to adapt quickly to proprietary databases.
- Demonstrates strong customer service and communication skills.
Limited overtime hours throughout the year; however, must be available to work overtime hours during one week of annual meeting.
This full-time vacancy is stationed at the NSDAR headquarters. Telecommuting arrangements and/or relocation assistance are not available.
In order to be considered further, candidates must include, along with a cover letter and resume, the following:
- A sample analysis of genealogy or family research performed, consisting of at least 3 generations, submitted in narrative form.
- The narrative must include appropriate source citations based on own research in original records as well as research findings and supporting documentation.
- Printouts from genealogical software; online family trees, lineage society applications will not be considered appropriate sample analysis.
Please send cover letter, resume and genealogical research narrative to: