Browne and Buckwell of New York City made this gilt and fancy painted harp in the late 19th century. The founder of the firm, John F. Browne, was considered to be one of the best harp makers in New York City. After emigrating from London, Browne set up shop in the city in 1841 and won a gold medal for the best “double action harp” at the 1856 American Institute Fair, according to Musical Instrument Makers of New York: A Directory of Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century Craftsmen by Nancy Groce. Browne worked in New York until his death in 1871, and Edgar J. Browne (probably a son) and George Buckwell took over the firm.
The Texas State Society DAR donated the instrument.