The hallmark on the bottom of this sterling silver coffee pot indicates that the Philadelphia shop of Thomas Fletcher and Sidney Gardner made it between 1824 and 1830. A large factory, Fletcher & Gardner made all sorts of silver items ranging from simple teapots to presentation cups, wine coolers and cruet sets. The factory employed the latest technology, including die-rolled and stamping machinery to make borders and other decorative elements. The decorative bands applied to this coffee pot were made using the die-rolled process.
The firm sold their wares to other retailers. This coffee pot also bears the stamp for Baltimore silversmith Robert Campbell. Campbell then sold it to Washington, D.C., jeweler Seraphim Masi, who promptly placed his stamp on the piece. The engraved monogram “MW” is likely of the unidentified original owner.
This tall and vertically shaped coffee pot is accompanied by a matching teapot that is squat and round. Coffee or tea can be served from either, but the differences in shape might have facilitated easy identification when serving coffee and tea together.