Lasell Hall was built as a tavern in 1795. It is a 2 1/2-story, five bay, timber framed Federal-style house that was constructed by local craftsmen of native pine, reinforced and insulated with handmade brick. It was built by Johannes Lawyer, III, and originally named the Fountain Town Tavern, after the original name for Schoharie which was Fountain Town. The inn ran successfully and changed hands several times prior to being purchased by Chester Lasell in the early 1800's. In 1855, the inn closed and the house was enlarged to accommodate room and board for students attending the Schoharie Academy (at a tuition rate of $200 per year). In 1913, the heirs of Joseph M. Lasell deeded the tavern property, then vacant, to the Schoharie Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. After repairs and renovations, the chapter held their first meeting in the hall on October 18th, 1914. By October of 1916, due to the dedicated efforts of the Schoharie Chapter membership, the Schoharie Chapter Historian was pleased to announce in the Daughters of the American Revolution Magazine that Lasell Hallwas open for operation as a "real Free Library" with a collection of 1500 books. The Schoharie Free Library was housed on the second floor of Lasell Hall until the 1960's when it was then moved into a new location within the Village of Schoharie. Renovations to Lasell Hall were started in the 1970's, during which alterations were made to the main stairway and the Tavern room on the second floor. Lasell Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
Massive rainfall brought on by Hurricane Irene on August 28, 2011, caused the Schoharie Creek to flood the Schoharie Valley. Flood waters filled Lasell Hall, reaching a height of nearly four and a half feet on the first floor. The Schoharie Chapter NSDAR is committed to the restoration of Lassell Hall.
Form Submitted By: Schoharie Chapter, NSDAR 8/25/2015