"This combination of architectural styles may have come about through repeated remodeling procedures. City records mark a building on this site as early as 1845. A builder-carpenter, Joel Partridge, was resident at that time and may also have constructed the house. It’s believed that Partridge is also the one who named the street "Prospect.” The home is most familiarly known as the residence of the professionally and socially prominent Porter Sheldon family who became owners in 1880. In the 1880's Sheldon was one of the founders of the American Aristotype Co. which produced stable photographic paper. The company later became part of the Eastman Kodak Company in Rochester. It was during this time period that the house was elevated to its current mansion status with over 20 rooms.
In 1908, the property was willed to Sheldon’s daughter, Cora Sheldon Tew, and later passed to Granddaughter, Dorothy Tew Johnson. She bequeathed the house to the Jamestown Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) in the late 1970's." (Wording taken from the following web site: http://chautauquaantiques.blogspot.com/2010/09/patridge-sheldon-dar-house.html)