Shopping Cart

Your shopping cart is empty.
Washington County 
Route 40 East 
Washington, PA 18301

Historical Significance:

"Madonna of the Trail is a series of 12 monuments dedicated to the spirit of pioneer women in the United States. The monuments were commissioned by the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR). They were installed in each of the 12 states along the National Old Trails Road (Route 40), which extended from Bethesda, Maryland, to Upland, California.

Created by sculptor August Leimbach and funded by contributions, the Madonna of the Trail monuments were intended to provide a symbol of the courage and faith of the women whose strength and love aided so greatly in conquering the wilderness and establishing permanent homes. Dedicated in 1928 and 1929, the twelve statues became sources of local pride. Through the continuing efforts of local and national groups, all are currently in good condition and on display." (Wording from website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_of_the_Trail)

 

Acknowledgements: This landmark is operated and maintained by the Washington County Chapter, NSDAR.
Form Submitted By: Washington County Chapter, NSDAR 01/21/2009