Madonna of the Trail Monument Locations
This Madonna of the Trail Monument was the seventh dedication of the twelve, and held on September 29, 1928. The statue was placed at a location where the National Road intersects the Coronado Trail. It has been moved from the original site and is now in the center of town on Main Street. The DAR state organization has a committee for Madonna of the Trail Repair and Restoration and restoration estimates are underway.
The eleventh Madonna of the Trail Monument to be dedicated was on February 1, 1929. The statue was unveiled facing south on Euclid Avenue and Foothill Boulevard, Route 66, and due to the cold, rainy day, the crowd was asked to move to the High School Auditorium for the dedication program. A rededication was held in February 1979. California State DAR members placed a plaque at her base in November 1987. Extensive earthquake damage in the 1980s necessitated a $37,000 restoration. The Upland Madonna statue was designated a California historical landmark by the state Historical Resources Commission. The DAR San Antonio Chapter has been the guardian of the Madonna of the Trail statue in Upland since its dedication.
This was the fifth Madonna of the Trail to be unveiled and dedicated with the largest crowd ever assembled in Lamar. Businesses and schools closed and a parade and dance were held. Area pioneer mothers were honored during the festivities. Although Judge Harry S. Truman was listed on the printed program, he was unable to attend. This statue sits in a very visible location on Main Street at the Colorado Welcome Center. Rededication ceremonies were held in 1988. DAR Chapter Fort William Bent in Lamar is the guardian of the statue.
The eighth Madonna of the Trail dedication took place October 26, 1928, on the grounds of the Old State House. This city was the western terminus of the Cumberland Road. Originally standing at the south entrance of the former State House, the Madonna was moved a short distance in 1940 to a corner site. A rededication ceremony was held November 4, 1978.
The ninth Madonna of the Trail Monument sits on the southwest corner of Glenn Miller Park on Main Street (U.S. Route 40.) Dedication ceremonies and unveiling were held October 28, 1928. The first tollgate in Indiana stood near this site on the National Road. A bronze DAR insignia has been attached. Extensive restoration work was completed in 1988 and a rededication was held on October 29. A 75th anniversary cermony is being planned for 2003. Indiana DAR is the guardian of the statue.
Kansas, Council Grove
The third of the Madonna of the Trail Monument unveilings was on the Santa Fe Trail in September 7, 1928, on land deeded to the DAR from the County Commissioners. The monument stands on Main Street, which is U.S. Route 56. The largest gathering at any dedication was reported here at ten to fifteen thousand people. This statue was restored in June 2002. The state is planning a rededication on September 7, 2003, seventy-five years after the unveiling. The DAR President General and Mr. Bill Curtis are planning to attend the rededication. The DAR Council Oak Chapter of Council Grove is the guardian of the statue.
The twelfth and final Madonna of the Trail to be dedicated was placed on Rockville Pike, Maryland Route 355, near Washington, D.C. The dedication in April 19, 1929 was planned to coincide with the DAR annual conference, which is held in D.C. Mr. and Mrs. Walter Tuckerman donated the land site to the DAR State Organization. DAR State Regents representing the twelve other Madonna site states were presented at the dedication, and each spoke about the data recorded on the base of the monument located in her own state. The statue was moved and rededicated in 1979. The site location is downtown Bethesda, corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Montgomery Lane, on the sidewalk in front of the old Post Office. The DAR Colonel Tench Tilghman Chapter is the guardian of the statue.
The fourth Madonna of the Trail Monument was dedicated on September 17, 1928. She sits on a rise downtown above the Missouri River at the corner of Highland Street and Main Street, formally the National Old Trails Road. This monument was rededicated on September 28, 1978. In 1999, the DAR State organization received a Save Outdoor Sculpture Assessment Award and a conservator made an on-site examination at that time. The state DAR plans to complete needed restoration by the 75th Anniversary of the dedication scheduled to occur on August 23, 2003. Lexington's DAR Lafayette-Lexington Chapter is the guardian of the statue.
New Mexico, Albuquerque
The sixth dedicated Madonna of the Trail was placed facing the Old Santa Fe Trail in McClellan Park and dedicated on September 27, 1928. The statue was relocated to a small corner area on a side street when a new federal courthouse was built on the park site. Following restoration, a rededication was held September 27, 1998. The DAR Lew Wallace Chapter is the guardian of the statue.
The first of the Madonna of the Trail Monument dedications and unveiling ceremonies was July 4, 1928, on the Ohio Masonic Home grounds. She was moved one-quarter mile when a highway interchange was built 1956-57 to the present location at the south end of Snyders Park on Route 40. Ohio DAR members and the city of Springfield completed a $50,000+ project for her restoration in 2001. Plans are underway to rededicate on July 4, 2003, the 75th Anniversary of the original dedication. The DAR Lagonda Chapter in Springfield is the guardian of the statue.
The tenth Madonna of the Trail Monument dedication was held December 8, 1928. The Nemacolin Country Club deeded land to the DAR National Old Trails Committee for the site. This location is approximately 15 miles east of Washington, Pennsylvania, on U.S. Route 40. A rededication was held in October 1978. Pennsylvania State DAR members restored the statue in 1990 and there was another rededicated held in June 1990. A bronze DAR emblem and a plaque have been added to the base. The DAR Washington County Chapter is the guardian of the statue.
West Virginia, Wheeling
The second dedicated Madonna of the Trails Monument is located on the edge of Wheeling Park, facing the National Road. The Wheeling Park Commission assumed the expense of the landscaping, erection, and foundation and base. The commission added a road to connect at each end with the National Highway, to enable the traveling public to drive in off the highway while viewing the monument. A few years ago, the Wheeling Park Commission gave the monument a gentle wash. The DAR Wheeling Chapter is the guardian of the statue and has maintained a light on the Madonna since 1928.
[ Previous Table of Contents ]