Dowden’s Ordinary is the site of a historic tavern built in 1753 as a stop for travelers on the road between Georgetown and Frederick. Dowden's Ordinary and Tavern was used as a favorite meeting place for groups such as the Sons of Liberty, starting in 1770, and other key historical figures during the Revolutionary War. The marker was placed at the site of Dowden's Ordinary by the Janet Montgomery Chapter in 1915 to commemorate General Braddock's 1755 troop encampment at the location.
To preserve the historical site, 2.8 acres of land was given by developers to create the first historical park in Montgomery County. The interactive park was completed in 2010 and features a ghost structure of the tavern.
Read about Searching for Dowden's Ordinary and other archaeology studies at http://www2.montgomerycollege.edu/departments/neharchaeology/dowdens.html
- Marker Organization: The Janet Montgomery Chapter
- Marker Date: 04/15/1915
- Marker Text: THIS TABLET MARKS THE SITE OF DOWDEN'S ORDINARY WHERE GEN. GEORGE EDWARD BRADDOCK AND COL. DUNBAR'S DIVISION OF THE COLONIAL AND ENGLISH ARMY MADE A SECOND ENCAMPMENT IN MARYLAND APRIL 15-17, 1755 ERECTED BY THE JANET MONTGOMERY CHAPTER DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION APRIL 15, 1915
Acknowledgements: The Janet Montgomery Chapter helped with the planning stages of the first historical park in Montgomery County for the past 20 years, including a historical marker placed by the chapter in 1915 and historical information for the signs placed in the park.
Form Submitted By: Janet Montgomery Chapter, NSDAR 12/15/2015