Around 1776, Fort Horn was built for the local militia somewhere on the Eastport peninsula near the mouth of the Severn River to protect Annapolis harbor from invasion by the British fleets during the Revolutionary War and during the War of 1812. It last served as a smallpox infirmary during the Civil War before disappearing. Archaeologists believe they have uncovered traces of the fort under the shallow water off Horn Point.
In the Horn Point Street End Park, a marker commemorates the Maryland forces being joined here by French troops under General Lafayette for the defense of the city of Annapolis during the Revolutionary War.
- Marker Organization: Peggy Stewart Tea Party Chapter, NSDAR
- Marker Date: 1963
- Marker Text: FORT HORN 1776-1866 MD. MILITIA FORCES WERE JOINED HERE BY FRENCH TROOPS UNDER GEN. LAFAYETTE, FOR THE DEFENSE OF THE CITY OF ANNAPOLIS, AS BRITISH SHIPS BLOCKADED HARBOR. COMMEMORATED BY THE PEGGY STEWART TEA PARTY CHAPTER DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION 1963
Acknowledgements: Fort Horn was marked by the Peggy Stewart Tea Party Chapter, NSDAR.
Form Submitted By: Maryland State Society DAR Historic Preservation Committee 12/19/2015