"The stone fort built in 1756 protected Maryland’s frontier settlers during the French and Indian War. Fort Frederick is unique because of its strong stone wall, large size, and roomy barracks. Fort Frederick also saw service during the American Revolution as a prison for British soldiers. For the next 131 years, the fort and surrounding lands were farmed. During the Civil War, Union troops were often stationed near the fort to guard the C & O Canal. In 1922, the State of Maryland acquired the fort. During the Great Depression of the 1930's, a company of the Civilian Conservation Corps restored the fort and began development of the state park. In 1975, the park reconstructed two soldier’s barracks inside the fort. These barracks are open seven days a week from Memorial Day to Labor Day and on the weekends in the spring and fall. During those times, staff and volunteers dressed in 18th century clothing occupy the fort, demonstrating daily life in the 18th century." (Source: Maryland DNR).
Acknowledgements: In 1934, Congress loaned the MSSDAR four Napoleon cannons for display at Fort Frederick. Maryland DAR began its association with the fort in the 1920s when it planted a forest that covered 56 acres. Known as The Maryland DAR Forest Planting on Fort Frederick State Forest, it was the first such forest of this kind in America. In 1924, 1149 white pines were planted, one for each Maryland Daughter. Over the next several years, Maryland DAR, its chapters, and C.A.R. continued planting. In the spring of 1929, all 25 DAR chapters combined in planting additional acres and on April 27 made a pilgrimage to the fort. To help with maintenance, booklets entitled Fort Frederick, an Historical Sketch were sold for 25 cents each, and postcards were sold, with proceeds going to upkeep of the grounds. On May 2, 1931, a celebration was held to mark the completion of the work and to turn the forest over to the state. Maryland DAR was awarded the National Society's conservation prize for its work at the fort. The restoration of the well that provided water inside the Fort was completely funded by the Janet Montgomery Chapter in 1934. During the 250th anniversary of the fort, Maryland DAR became a life member of Friends of Fort Frederick and contributed to the reconstruction of the Officers' Quarters, the next phase in the restoration of this 1756 colonial fort.
Form Submitted By: Maryland State Society DAR Historic Preservation Committee 12/22/2015