Marian Anderson performed at Constitution Hall on numerous occasions, some of which are listed below:
Marian Anderson onstage at Constitution Hall in 1943.
(Marie Hansen/Time and LIFE Pictures/Getty Images)
- September 1942 – the DAR invited Marian Anderson to perform at Constitution Hall for a series of benefit concerts to aid the war relief. Marian Anderson performed at the first of these concerts in January 1943.
- March 14, 1953 – Marian Anderson sang to an unsegregated audience in Constitution Hall as part of the American University concert series
- April 1, 1956 – Marian Anderson performs in Constitution Hall
- October 24, 1964 – Marian Anderson begins her farewell American tour in Constitution Hall
- April 20, 1992 – At the opening night ceremonies of the DAR annual convention, the DAR awarded Marian Anderson the Centennial Medallion, which honors women who gave outstanding service to the nation. Due to health reasons, Miss Anderson was unable to attend the ceremony, so the medallion and certificate were delivered to her at her home.