The DAR Library has compiled a variety handouts and instructional videos on specific topics related to using the DAR Library for genealogical research.
Using the DAR Library
- Tips for using DAR Library during Congress 2019 (video)
- How to prepare for your research trip to the DAR Library in DC
Using the Genealogical Research System (GRS)
- Searching the Ancestor Database (video)
- Interpreting the Ancestor Record (video)
- Searching GRC (video)
- Getting the Most Out of Census Records (video)
Research and Organizational Aids
Getting Started Series - Documenting Revolutionary War Service
The DAR Library developed the ‘Getting Started’ series of handouts specifically to help DAR members plan their research and locate service sources.
- What To Do If Your Revolutionary Ancestor Is Not In the DAR Ancestor Database
- General Sources of Service
- Sources of Service:
Researching Revolutionary War Patriots from Specific Ethnic or National Groups
The DAR Lineage Research Committee has developed a series of brochures to provide some basic information about researching Revolutionary War patriot from a variety of specific ethnic or national groups.
- Researching Your African American Patriot
- Researching Your Spanish Patriot
- Researching Your Spanish Patriot (in Spanish)
- Researching Your French Patriot
- Researching Your Native American Patriot
- Researching Your Jewish Patriot
Researchers should give proper credit for any reference in any publication or source they quote in their writing or note-taking. A proper credit line or footnote is important. This will avoid problems and misunderstandings in the future. This guide includes instructions and examples for using and citing items from the DAR Library Collections.