8181 S Parker Road, Centennial, CO 80016
When the 1859-1860 gold rush resulted in large-scale settlement of the West, 'Mile Houses' were located every 2-3 miles along the Cherokee/Smoky Hill wagon trails from Kansas, all named based on their distance to the intersection of Colfax Avenue and Broadway in Denver. Travelers could fix their wagons, put up their horses, and get a warm meal. 17 Mile House is the only mile house left in its original state.
Acknowledgements: Piney Creek Chapter donated $1K and the Colorado State Society donated $250 toward the rehabilitation of the 17 Mile House structures. Piney Creek Chapter also volunteer at the property regulary.
Form submitted by Piney Creek Chapter NSDAR Colorado 03/01/2017